How do I write to my child?
You can write your child online or by hand writing a letter on your own stationary. If you choose to mail your letter, please remember to include your sponsored child's name and Child ID.
Our mailing address is:
Fundatia Poarta Bucuriei
Attn: Name of Sponsored Child (Child ID)
Bd. Stefan cel Mare nr. 88
410437, Oradea, Bihor
Can I write directly to my child?
From our experience, routing your letters through our ministry is the most efficient way to correspond with your child because our Romanian staff ensures that effective translation and communication takes place. Furthermore, it allows our ministry to protect the children and your personal privacy.
How often should I write?
We encourage you to write your sponsored child as frequently as you can, even if it's only a brief note or card. Your letter will be translated and given to your child within a week of its arrival in Romania. You will receive a minimum of two to three letters a year from your child, usually in early winter and late spring.
Are my letters really that important?
Yes they are, actually, your letters can be life-changing for a child in one of our programs! An abandoned child or teen living in poverty struggles to grasp that they are truly valued by God and others. As a sponsor you are in a strategic position to influence, empower and mentor your child.
When a child receives a letter from their sponsor, they often read it repeatedly and eagerly share with anyone who will listen! Your letters communicate strong messages of love and support that will help carry many of these children and young people into adulthood stronger and happier. Also, the letters you exchange help your child develop better writing skills and grow in their ability to put their thoughts and feelings into words.
Thank you for taking the time to write your child and letting them know they matter to you and even more to their Heavenly Father. May God bless you richly for all that you do for these kids!
What should I write about?
It's important for you to understand that the child you sponsor sees you as a very significant person in their life. Whatever you choose to write about will have significant influence on their growth and development. If you need a few ideas about what you can write to them about, here are a few:
- Describe your family (i.e. where they live, the type of work they do, their interests, about their pets, etc). Feel free to Include a photo, postcard, drawing or bookmark with your letter.
- Share about an important event in your life (i.e. a wedding, graduation, trip, new job, holidays, etc).
- Explain a special holiday or family custom that your look forward to each year.
- Describe a person who had a great influence in your life.
- Share about an important life lesson or describe how you overcame a challenge or met a goal.
- Talk about the church you attend and about the various ways you serve Christ there.
- Remind your child that you pray for him or her regularly. Feel free to share with your child how they can pray for you, as well.
- Share your favorite Bible stories and verses and how they encourage you.
- Affirm that God loves him or her and has a great plan for his or her life.
- Encourage your child to write back and/or draw pictures for you.
Is there anything I should avoid writing about?
Please be sensitive to your child's economic situation and refrain from discussing the material aspects of your life (i.e. the kind of car you drive or the size of your house etc). Also, please do not share your personal information (i.e. your home address, your e-mail address or your telephone numbers. Lastly, please do not make promises of particular gifts or suggest that your child come for a visit in the future.